In 1995, the Trust leased a large tract of land at Westbrook Hay from Dacorum Borough Council and the freehold was purchased in 2003. This land was deemed to be fundamental to the Trust's environmental and educational programme. One immediate benefit was that it enabled the Trust to increase and develop its flock of Norfolk Horn sheep in conjunction with the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.
In 1996, the first annual Conker Festival was held on Blackbirds Moor and quickly became a popular tradition, which still endures.
2000 saw a major event in the Trust's history with the inception of "The Scheme". As time had passed, the provisions of the 1809 Boxmoor Act had become out-of-date and inappropriate to cope with the issues of an increasing local population and the change in the nature of the Trust from its original status as an agricultural grazing Trust. Following a lengthy period of consultation with the Charity Commission, The Charities (Boxmoor Estate, Hemel Hempstead) Order 2000 came into force on 5th April 2000, effectively repealing the 1809 Boxmoor Act. The Scheme provided for an enlargement of the Area of Benefit and for all electors in the Area to be eligible to stand as new Trustees and vote in the elections of Trustees. The Area takes in most of Hemel Hempstead, Bovingdon and Flaunden. New Trustees are no longer elected for life and elections will be held every five years or when the number of Trustees falls below nine.
Also in 2000, the Trust was gifted 40 acres of land at the old workings site of Bovingdon Brickworks, to be managed as a conservation area. On Christmas Day of the same year, an electrical fault caused a fire that destroyed a significant part of the Trust's headquarters in London Road.
In 2001, the first 'Music on the Moor' community music event was held, which has taken place every other year since then up to 2011. In 2003, the Trust acquired the freehold of Westbrook Hay and also purchased Pixies Mere coarse fishery (run commercially under licence). 2004 saw the launch of the Trust's education programme and the establishment of its volunteer group.
The Trust continues to thrive as a community resource and environmental asset. In 2011, the Trust purchased the four acre site of the former Gadespring cress beds, which will be managed sympathetically for the benefit of wildlife and visitors.
In 2012, work finally started on the construction of a Heritage Centre on the site of the fire-damaged headquarters in London Road. To reflect the style of the previous building, a farm barn, the design is very much that of the local vernacular. Inside wherever possible the green oak frame is left exposed. The modern focus of the building is the two storey glazed atrium that welcomes visitors as they approach from the car park. The Centre was completed in May 2013.