Over recent weeks we have been working hard with our contractor Stillwater Management to refurbish the old Preston Hill pond and at long last we have been able to fill it with water. We thought it would be a good time to share some information about it:
• The pond has been created for wildlife.
• Please do not enter or allow your dog into the area.
• Water supplied is ground sourced and pumped from our new borehole.
• Planting of the marginal areas will start once the site has settled down
• Once the ecosystem is ready to support larger species, it is hoped that newts/frogs and the rare Albino toad will return. The pond has already attracted back dragonflies and damselflies.
Special thanks to Will Atkins of London, Essex and Hertfordshire Amphibian and Reptile Trust (LEHART) and Dave Willis of Herts ARG for the ongoing support & advice for this fantastic project. We would also like to thank our volunteer John Sparrow for the time-lapse photography footage, which can be viewed on You Tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4FXzvNlFY
The all-weather path between the Old Barn and Preston Hill is also now complete and ready to use and will take you through the wood and right up to the pond.